Tuesday, March 08, 2011

2 dead mice

Monday afternoon I was sitting at my computer and listening to music when I heard...

Scratch.   Scratch.   Scratch.

The sound came from either my kitchen or entryway, both of which have paper bags.  It sounded like a mouse scratching on a paper bag.

I turned my radio off and listened.

Nothing.  I checked the mouse trap by the dryer in the entryway.   Nothing.

A short time later I heard the sound again.  Once again the sound stopped when I moved closer to hear better where the sound exactly came from.

When dad was alive mice would crawl into the paper grocery sack that we used for a garbage pail and I would grab the bag and take it outside.  So this time I took the paper sack outside.  I checked the contents (fortunately not much garbage in the sack) and found nothing.

Later I heard the scratching again. This time it sounded like it came from the kitchen.  There is a gap between the refrigerator and the cabinet by where I place the garbage sack.  I moved the mouse trap there.  A couple hours later I heard the trap snap and found a bloody mouse caught in the trap.

I wonder where this mouse came from as in the past most mice have entered the house somewhere around the washer/dryer area in the entryway as that is where I catch them.

My first mouse inside the house in two years.  I guess I shouldn't be surprised as I have seen many more mouse tracks outside this Spring and today I discovered the mice have been digging up my tulip bulbs and eating them.  I noticed three dug up so far. This hasn't happened to me before.   My neighbor told me that their cat has caught many more mice this Spring.

The mouse in the house may have been revenge for the mouse I killed earlier in the morning.  As I walked by the south side of the barn I noticed a mouse sitting and sunning itself next to the barn's foundation.  Within a minute it was dead.  Accidents happen. 

No comments: