Friday, December 03, 2010

Snow and bird

While I shoveled snow again today I noticed a Flicker in the box elder tree by the house.  I guess Flickers don't fly south for the winter.

 
The bird came out of a hole in the tree.  Last year I boarded up the prior holes in the tree only to have the birds create new holes this year.


Also today I noticed a pine tree branch leaning against the top of three power lines that go to my well.  The snow weighed the branch down.  We have had no wind since the cold weather blew in early last week and each day the snow stacks up higher and higher on everything: branches, fences, roofs, etc.  You can see that in the photo with the bird.

To prevent a problem I carefully knocked the snow from the pine branch then got a ladder and a pole saw and began trimming the branch back. The problem is I had to cut the branch in sections to try to prevent it from falling on and breaking the line.  Still some small sections fell on a line or two and got hung up.  I carefully removed those branch segments.   Here is the branch after I cut half of it back.


I also trimmed a few other branches near the power line.  With all the snow on the branches I ended up soaking wet by the time I was done.  The temperature was just above freezing and the snow was wet.  It was also snowing (of course!) and the flakes were big, wet, and many.

With the warm temperatures the snow slid off the buildings' metal roofs.  Not all at once as sections of snow would break off and fall with a "thump" to the ground.  I had to shovel away the fallen snow on the side of the pole shed I use else I would have a frozen mound of snow once the temperature dropped.

No comments: