Friday, October 03, 2008

Gravestone ideas

My brother and I are trying to figure out what to get as a gravestone for mom's grave. Last Friday we visited the two monument companies in town. This is harder than I imagined as there are lots and lots of choices.
  • Have a flower vase?
  • Have the vase as part of the gravestone or separate?
  • Have the vase totally separate from the stone or in some concrete around/next to the gravestone?
  • If vase is part of the stone, go with a hump at the top to include the vase, or place the vase elsewhere in the stone? Top, center, side?
  • What color stone?
  • How large of a stone?
  • Concrete border around the stone, or a larger stone?
  • Stone wash a border around the stone?
  • What to put on the stone?
    • Include middle name?
    • Full birth and death dates, or just the years?
    • Any other words?
    • Add an image?
I am leaning towards:
  • Flower vase as part of the stone
  • Square stone; no hump
  • No concrete
  • No middle name
  • Full dates
  • Adding "Beloved Mother"
  • Maybe adding an image of a cross or flowers


Saturday my brother and I visited mom's grave. My brother earlier had bought and placed two temporary plastic flowers and holders and placed them in the ground at each end of mom's grave. While the cemetery will only keep flowers that are in a vase, they hadn't removed my brother's flowers.

While at the cemetery we wandered around and looked at other gravestones. Concrete borders keep the grass away and from encroaching over the stone, and this seems to help the stone from getting "lost" as the sod rises around the stone over time, but old concrete deteriorates over time and looks bad.


I noticed a number of vases and flowers were tipped over. I stood a number of them up as I walked about. The vases turn slightly to lock in place and it seemed as if the workers hadn't turned the vases to lock them in after mowing the grass. A number of other vases had their locking mechanism broken or the mounting ring came loose from the stone.

Here are some examples of gravestone with "humps" and some without.



Concrete border and without a concrete border.


I am leaning to a stone in style similar to the last photo.

No comments: