Thursday, January 04, 2007

New Year resolutions

In the past I have never really made any New Year resolutions. My family wasn't into doing so, and whenever anyone talks about New Year resolutions they mention how fast people break them. I got the impression the resolutions were for something a person couldn't fulfill. As I consider myself to be a logical person, I wondered why would a person make a resolution for something they wouldn't keep? So I never made a resolution myself.

But now I have a blog and I need something to write about. Another post about baking pies and muffins would be boring to read. So how about a resolution?

A resolution about weight and/or wealth? Isn't that what most people make resolutions about? Well... not me. I am happy with my weight. After all if I can still wear clothes from my high school and college years, why should I complain? Wealth? One could always use more money. But... how much money does a person need? The answer is not much. Or at least 'not much' for a person who isn't enamored by having lots of material things, and who would rather go for a hike than go shopping.

A New Year resolution needs to be about something big. It is a New Year resolution after all. Resolving to eat a bowl of ice cream and watching a movie isn't much of a resolution. Or at least not in the grand scheme of things.

Hmm....

I got it. I resolve to paint my house this year. And most of my buildings. And as much of the front yard's fence as I can. That seems like a good resolution. Especially as I have planned to do this painting the past few years, before the new roof shingles, new insulation, and new hot water heater got in the way. Some of you may remember my emails some years ago asking for color choice suggestions. Yes. 2007 will be the year for painting! (I hope.)

Besides my Uncle Curt plans to visit me this summer and he said he preferred to work on my fences over hiking in Glacier Park (silly him!) as he thought my efforts to include him on my hikes in Olympic National Park was a sneaky effort to "do him in". I just need to get an extra paint brush before he arrives. Surprise!

And I resolve to see the ocean again this year. Every time I visit friends or family and the ocean I have a great time. It would seem dumb to break this resolution.

Now, on with 2007! I have great things to see and do!

No comments: