Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Chainsaw work

I was up early this morning. Brian took his car in to have the oil changed and for the mechanic to check out a few noises the car was making.

Before I will let the cattle into the south pasture I wanted to cut up the fallen tree that is sitting off the ground on its branches. It sat from ground level at the top of the tree to six feet or more at the bottom of the tree. Because the cattle like to stand under the tree and scratch against the supporting branches I felt this year - as it has been several years since the tree blew over - I had to cut the tree up so it wouldn't fall on any cattle.

I had to make another batch of 'chainsaw gasoline' (add special oil to gasoline). I had to go to a gas station to get a gallon of gas.

I would cut a few supporting branches, then a section of tree. And so on. All while paying attention that the tree wouldn't suddenly fall over on me.

I thought one tank of gas would be sufficient to cut the tree. I was wrong. I ran out of gas before making the final two cuts. *argh* I had to walk back to the house to get more gasoline.

Brian was back from getting the car's oil changed. The strange car sound was probably a loose heat shield. Difficult to reach to tighten. Labor would be expensive so Brian is thinking it over.

After cutting up the final sections of tree I, and Brian, picked the goat's beard that had gone to seed in the NE part of the south pasture.

Then I had my second shower of the morning - I should have waited till after cutting the tree as I was now covered in sawdust and sweat.

After my shower I noticed the Holstein steer was again in the south pasture while the herd took a siesta along the south/middle pasture fence. How does he get through the fence?!!! Brian held the gate and kept the herd from going through it as I easily herded the Holstein through the gate.

Then we were off to visit Glacier National Park - which I'll write about another day as it is late and we have another full day of adventure in the Park planned for tomorrow.

No comments: