Thursday, June 15, 2006

Cattle and "football"

Now that I moved my cattle into the middle pasture I went into the north pasture and put their "football" back. By "football" I mean a large log.

Before letting the cattle into the north pasture some weeks ago I cut much of a large fallen tree so it wouldn't collapse off its supporting branches when the cattle would rub against it. And rub they do! I took a half dozen of the largest logs and stacked them in two triangle piles under the remaining uncut part of the tree.

Around a week after I let the cattle into the north pasture I noticed the top log from the pile just under the end of the tree was quite some distance from the pile. Strange...

I carried the log back and placed it on top of the pile again. A few days later the log was again on the ground. A few more days the log was further from the tree. I replaced it again. The next day it was on the ground again.

Okay, play with your "football" or "soccer" ball. Or are you doing this just to mess with me?

To give you an idea of the log's size, my chainsaw has an 18" blade and I had to cut the log from both sides to cut it from the tree. This log's length is cut to fit in my wood burning stove; I guess 18 or so inches long. It takes some effort for me to lift and carry the log. I doubt most women have the upper body strength to lift the log. It will take some effort to split the log for firewood.

And here the cattle are moving it around the pasture. What bored cattle won't do!

I also found the rotting tree stump attached to the north/middle fence was knocked over. Stumps I want to get rid of stay; stumps I want are knocked over. At least now that the cattle are in the middle pasture they can scratch their neck on tree stumps to their hearts content.

No comments: