Thursday, December 22, 2022

Clearing snow

Kalispell's overnight low last night was -34 F.  A new record low.  The older record was -25 F.    The coldest Kalispell has ever been was -38 F some years ago, before I had moved here.    When I lived in Rochester the coldest I ever had was -38 F.  I rode my bicycle 2 miles to work on that date.  The local news wanted to put me on their newscast about it.  I refused.   I believe the coldest I ever experienced was -40 F or the low -40s when I lived in North Dakota as a kid.  I remember because they said -40 F equals - 40 C, otherwise the numbers are off.

It is minus -24 F right now.   Our high temperature today was -6 F.  And it was sunny.   And no wind today.  So it felt warmer than yesterday.  

I heat my house with wood.  I don't keep the fire going overnight.   Yesterday and today the indoor temperature was 40 F when I woke up at 10 am.  A bit cold.

I shoveled and shoveled snow this afternoon.   A few times my fingers got cold.  I switched gloves.   At the end of the afternoon, after I got into the house, my thumb on one hand and a finger on the other hand started to ache and are somewhat numb.  I must have frostbit them.  They still ache hours later.  I'm surprised they got frostbite.  I'll have to watch them over the next day.

I ended up shoveling snow off some of the hay bales.  I don't know why the strong winds didn't take the snow off the bales. The wind took the snow away from the front of the hay bales.  The winds did move some snow into places the snow normally doesn't go.  Which is annoying as it is hard to shovel it out from those places.   I even had to put old rags between the house's front door and the storm door.  Otherwise I found I was getting a very small amount of snow inside the house door and onto my rug.

I shoveled the snow off the south side of the bales because the snow was slightly melting.   At - 6 F degrees!  Who would have thought.

 


I even had to re-shovel my walking path from the house out to the hay bales.  The wind had completely filled in the old walking path.


No comments: