Monday, May 09, 2022

Chain sawing downed Winter trees

Starting back in March, and then through April, I worked off-and-on chain sawing the two trees that blew over this past Winter.  Plus I finished cutting up the other tree I had chain sawed earlier in March.  I wanted to cut up these trees and clean the areas before I harrowed the middle pasture.

This was the tree I chain sawed earlier in March.



I cut up that tree's branches.  Notice on these branches: their coloring.  That was because the cattle liked to rub against these branches back when they supported the tree trunk off the ground.



The tree trunk and branches stacked for now.



Tree number 2    The tree was not dead when it blew over.  After the tree blew over the cattle ate the tree's needles over Winter.



To make it easier to cut the rest of the tree trunk I lifted it off the ground.




The tree trunk and branches stacked for now.



Tree number 3   And this tree also was not dead when it blew over.  The cattle also ate the tree's needles over Winter. 



The tree trunk and branches stacked for now.




This was part of this tree's trunk, or stump, or whatever.



Part of what slowed down my chain sawing was my chainsaw's chain was getting worn out.  I re-sharpened the chain over and over.  Eventually the chain stretched and lengthened.  The photo shows the bar is completely lengthened, and still the chain droops.  I had to buy a new chain and wait for it to arrive before I could finish cutting up tree number 3.   With the new chain the cutting went way quicker.

No comments: