Monday, May 16, 2022

Cattle and calves

Those cows.  They are always up to something.   This afternoon I discovered they removed the hook I use to keep the barn door closed and locked.  I guess the cattle wanted to get into the barn to eat hay.  Fortunately they didn't get the latch open and was able to slide the barn door.  Give them time though, they'd figure it out.

How I normally lock the barn door.  How I found it this afternoon.




I fed the cattle hay in the wooden feeders late this afternoon.  That way I can haul out a large hay bale to their feeder in the extended corral (I close the gate) without getting interrupted by the cattle.

There is more hay in the long feeder to the right. But many of the cows seem to prefer to eat at the smaller feeder next to the barn.  Even though the hay is the same in each feeder.  Why?  I don't know.  The barn feeder would be best at four cows, not the six cows that squeeze in.



Mama eats at the kid's table.  Later the kids shooed Mama away so they could lay in the remaining hay.



While the mamas were in the corral this calf (Little Beulah's) wanted to eat grass.  He lays under the electric wire to reach the grass on the other side of the corral panels.  This time he stuck his head through the panel leg loop to reach the grass.  Good thing he is small and didn't get his head stuck in the loop.  Now I understand why the grass is short under the corral panels even though there is an electric wire there.  And also why the grass is short in the back yard on the other side of the corral gate. (I later saw this same calf with his head through the corral gate sections and reaching and eating grass in the yard.)


No comments: