Friday, January 07, 2022

Snow

We were predicted to get 5 to 10 inches of snow Thursday and into today.  It snowed non-stop from Wednesday night/Thursday morning until late this morning.   I don't know the official snow total, but I'm sure it was more than 5 inches.




I put this hay bale out for the heifers late Thursday afternoon.  This morning it was snow covered.







Wednesday it was windy and cold.  To feed the cows (and bull) I let them into the corral to eat hay with Diamond and her calf.  I put out a large hay bale late Thursday afternoon as it was not as cold and the wind had quit when the snow started.  Since Diamond's leg has recovered, when I let the cows out of the corral to go eat from the large hay bale, I let Diamond and her calf out also.  Diamond really wanted to go out and join the other cows.  She ran out of the corral when I opened the corral gate. 

Here is Diamond's calf eating from the feeder today.


Haynes the bull walking to drink from the river.


I had to break ice again this morning.  Beulah's calf - now a cow - didn't like drinking from the icy slush and walked over and out on the frozen ice.  I was not happy about this.  I went out on the ice and herded her back to the shore.  I then worked on trying get some of the icy slush out of the water and onto the ice so the cows would have a clear drinking area.  This afternoon it warmed up to the upper 30s and  drinking area was clearer.

No comments: