Wednesday, December 30, 2020

Moldy walnuts

 My walnut harvest this year didn't go as planned.



This Fall I picked all the walnuts from the tree.  I removed all the green husks and placed the walnuts in several plastic bags.  I waited a bit as I had other projects.  I then saw some of the walnut shells had a little white mold growing on them.  So I removed all the walnuts from their shells.  I did not see any mold on the walnuts themselves.  So I placed the walnuts in two plastic containers.

Occasionally I would munch on a few walnuts.  After a little bit of time I noticed a little bit of mold on the walnuts themselves.  I looked deeper in the container and walnuts down below were even moldier.  I've never had mold grow on store bought walnuts I had shelled.

I threw all the walnuts away.

Last year to this year I learned how to better harvest the walnuts from the tree.  Next year I will have to do something different once the walnuts are picked from the tree so I don't let mold get a chance to grow.

No comments: