Wednesday, December 16, 2020

Bull's bad leg

This morning when I went out to feed the cattle I saw that Toby the bull had a problem walking.  He had a hard time using his back left leg and would slowly limp.  The last thing a person wants is a bull with a bad leg.  I then herded Toby into the south corral to eat hay there.  I will leave him in the south corral for the time being as then he doesn't have to walk much and doesn't have the other cows to bump him.

A nearby neighbor, Larry, come over to take a look at Toby in case I had missed seeing something about his leg. Larry has handled cattle in the past, and his brother and cousin each have cattle.  Nope.  I didn't miss anything.   Toby's leg is not swollen.  Since it wasn't me, Toby would walk away when Larry got close to him.  We don't see a break.  It looks like Toby may have pulled or injured a muscle in his thigh.  Toby can stand fine.  Walking is not fine for him.

In the past I have had a cow during the Winter injure one of their legs.  I would keep the cow in the south corral for a week or so and they recovered.  I hope that will also be the case with Toby.  It is one thing to have a cow with an injured leg as I have multiple cows, but I have only one bull.  And to breed the cows in June he needs to be able to stand on his back legs.

I'd say, "What a year", but my "year" started back in September of 2019 when I injured my head.  Life is different since then.


Of course, after I got my camera Toby would just stand and not walk so I could get a video of him walking.  And I didn't want to make him walk to get a video.





No comments: