Friday, November 27, 2020

Another cattle jailbreak into the yard

Sometimes I think the cattle can read my mind.  This morning I thought about putting into the north pasture a bale of hay for the cattle as the hayfield is fairly well eaten down.  The cattle were fine so I decided to go uptown to get groceries and then buy the cattle some salt blocks and a tub of SmartLic mineral lick supplement.  The tub is 250 pounds and the two store employees has trouble lifting the tub into my pickup's bed.  Then in the afternoon I planned to put the hay bale out for the cattle.

As I came home I noticed the fence was broken. It appears Toby most likely pushed the boards off the fence.




No cattle were in the hayfield.

Donna's car was in my yard. She had gotten a call from the sheriff's department as they thought her cell phone number was my phone number.  I then saw Donna by the north fence to the neighbor's yard.  Maria and her calf were in my NE pasture and the rest of the cattle were in the neighbor's yard.  The yard has a chain-link fence and gate.   Tye and Donna were talking.

I was going to cut my barb wire fence but Donna and Tye said they would help me herd the cattle to the road and then over to my gate to the NE pasture.  The cattle didn't want to leave his yard but I got Mama and Beulah to leave then over to my pasture.  Then I got over half of the cattle that were left out of the yard and to my pasture.  Then Toby and the rest left and went to my yard.

Then I herded all the cattle into my corral and then counted then to make sure I had all the cattle.  I did.

Once in the corral the cattle chilled out and relaxed.



Mama

Later in the afternoon I put a large hay bale out in the north pasture.  I closed the gates to the hayfield as the cattle are done with that field for the year.  Tomorrow I will fix the fence.

No comments: