Saturday, March 21, 2020

Cow and calves and salt and hay

No new baby calves today.

This morning I moved cow 110 and her calf over to the south part of the corral to be with last year's calves.  Her calf wasn't hungry this morning and the mother cow was acting normal and protective of her calf.  In the afternoon I saw her calf drink and the mother stood still, like she should.  So the effort to get these two to bond is done.


In the following photo, when I built that fence I had also attached a metal pipe to it.  That was so the cows, or bull, wouldn't push against the fence boards popping them off.  Well, instead the cows, bull, and calves like to rub against the metal pipe and itch.  Days after I took this photo the calves completely knocked this section of pipe off the fence and somewhat bent the pipe.



This is the calves' salt.  Yup.  I had to clean it off and wash the salt block so they would again lick the salt block.



When I put out a new large hay bale, with the tractor I first tip the metal feeder on its side.  As the calves pick at the remaining hay I go and get the large hay bale.  This time while I was gone the calves pushed the feeder and ended up tipping it over.  Fortunately no one was hurt.




One of the steers likes to stand on the hay to eat it.  He can't get his back legs in the feeder and hay though.





This is what the feeder area looks like for the cows and bull out in the pasture.  This is why I move the feeder to a new location each time I put out a large hay bale.  This afternoon I put out another large bale for them.


No comments: