Friday, March 24, 2017

Calf 1

Buddy was on schedule.  I let him be with the cows in order that the first calf would be born around the 24th of March.   And late this afternoon the first calf was born.

I didn't see the birth.  By how the cow acted and looked earlier this afternoon I expected the birth to be late this afternoon to evening.  So I found the calf probably a half to an hour after its birth.

It is a boy.  His mother was making small moo noises of concern to the calf when I got close to check the sex of the calf.  He was standing up looking for his mother's milk so I was able to see his balls hanging down.

Much of the snow was gone so there was a dry area for the birth.   It was drizzling when I took the photo and rain is predicted over the next week.  But the cow and her calf were close to large evergreen trees and can easily keep dry under them.



While it looks like the calf is missing the mother's udder, he actually is sucking on a teat on the far side of the udder.

No comments: