Sunday, March 26, 2017

Burning ditches, etc.

I hadn't planned on it, but after seeing some burnt ditches on my bicycle ride today, I decided to burn my ditches.  The time is right: the snow is gone, it was dry today, and rain is in the forecast for tomorrow and off and on all week.

Having the hayfield dug up was nice as then I didn't have to worry about the fire getting away and out of control.

The ground is still damp and cool, but the light breeze usually kept the fire moving along.  Still I had to also help the fire along so it would not go out.

But I got it done.  One thing checked off my Spring checklist.




Also on my bicycle ride I discovered the house Curtis and his business partner owned was burnt down.  I had asked Curtis to let me know when the house was going to be burnt but he forgot to tell me.   He had the local fire department burn the house down yesterday as part of a pretty much all day fire training exercise.

Curtis and his business partner bought this house and property last year.  The house had been severely damaged in a fire and was unlivable and unfixable.  Curtis and his partner planned on cleaning up the property then flipping it and reselling it.   They also came across a large number of "house" logs, that is logs that are large and long enough to be used to build a log house.   Ever thinking, they now have the idea if no one buys the property for the price they are asking, they may build a log house and then sell the house and property for even more money.


No more calves yet.   Calf 1 is feeling good.  When talking with Curtis I saw the calf jump up and down a number of times in front of his mother.  "Look mom!  See what I can do!"

Later when I went out to check on how much hay the cattle had left, the calf was running here and there having just learned how to run.  His mother followed and mooed at him to be careful.  Much more of this and she'll lose all her pregnancy weight gain.  That calf is so cute.

No comments: