Friday, January 08, 2016

Moving

After all this time Jan's daughter finally found an apartment and I helped move some of her stuff - since I have a pickup.  First I had to get a large wooden entertainment center and large bed headboard Jan had bought at the Veteran's Pantry.  Both were used and had scratches so that made moving them a little easier even though both were large bulky and heavy.

We also loaded a sofa and two heavy wooden side tables into my pickup.  I tied a bed mattress and box spring on top of Jan's SUV.  Off we drove to Whitefish.  Jan in the lead; me following; and the daughter bringing up the rear.  I would watch that the bed and box spring did not come off Jan's SUV and the daughter watched that nothing came off the back of the pickup (as I couldn't close the tailgate and still get everything loaded).

We didn't lose anything.  I was glad we didn't have to go further as the mattress did move a little to the back when Jan drove 50 mph.

I asked if the front door and then the elevator or stairs was the way to go and was told yes.  I got the mattress squeezed in the elevator.  We had to carry the box spring down the stairs as I couldn't bend that.  Then we were told that a back door on the first / lower left would be better to use as we would avoid using the elevator or stairs.

We barely got the sofa through the initial corners.  We turned it this way and that before finally getting it through the doors. I only had the entertainment center left to move inside when a guy told me another door would be better to use.  No corners to get inside the building.  Now someone tells me!

Most things I manhandled but a few items were too big and bulky and I needed a person to guide the other end.  Moving the furniture was me, 70-something Jan, and her 50-something daughter, neither with strength or endurance.  I'm glad neither dropped dead from the effort.  They were pretty tired.

The apartment complex residents are either senior citizens or disabled people.  In the beginning a number of old ladies with their walkers were loitering about to watch the activity.  (Guess nothing else goes on for excitement there).  A few were in the way as they were slow in comprehending we would be carrying stuff down the hallway past them, else slow to move due to age.  After I almost ran one old lady over they finally got the idea that hanging in the hallway to watch the activity was not a safe place to be and left.

It took four hours from start to finish.  Jan treated me to supper at Nickel Charlies for helping.

No comments: