Sunday, January 26, 2014

Slipping

Last night, as I carried a hay bale to the cattle's feeder, I slipped on the frozen ground and manure and "sat down suddenly".  As you can see there is kind of a ring around the feeder.  I slipped crossing that hump.  That was the first time I have slipped carrying a hay bale.  And the odd thing was that yesterday I had opened the gate so the cattle could go sit under the trees and lessen the amount of manure buildup in the corral - big cows produce big manure piles.  So last night I didn't have cattle to avoid when carrying the hay bale to the feeder.  And I fell.



I protected most of the hay bale from touching the manure but my coat and pants were soaked on the spot I sat from the very short time I was on the ground.

Tonight Daisy helped me feed the cattle and I didn't slip.


The calves are adjusting to the loss of mama's milk.  After a few days of bawling they are mostly quiet now.  The calves did make a little more noise yesterday and crowd the fence when their mamas went further away from the calves to lay under the trees.

No comments: