Tuesday, November 05, 2013

More gophers

After I moved the cattle to the south pasture I placed traps in the hayfield to trap the pocket gophers who moved in since I last trapped the hayfield in the Spring.

I trapped 13 gophers.  One day one of the gopher traps near the south fence went missing.  This has happened before near the south fence.  I searched around and found the trap in the trees across the fence on the neighbor's property.  A dead pocket gopher was inside the trap.  Ahh.. the reason an animal carried the trap from the open field to this protected area.



I even did the neighbor a favor and tried to trap a pocket gopher on his property.  After filling the trap with dirt a few times the pocket gopher gave up and moved away.   That was it.  My last pocket gopher.  I am done for the year.  Winter is coming.

For the year I trapped 33 pocket gophers.  The second lowest amount since I began back in 2003.  In 2003 I only trapped 29 pocket gophers.  That was before I really knew what I was doing and when I only had three traps.  So to trap only 33 pocket gophers this year means I got them on the run.

No comments: