Friday, March 08, 2013

Momma and Baby are separated

Baby is over 6 months old.  She still gets milk from Momma.  It is well time she is weaned from Momma.

Last year I had started to take down the barb wire fence separating the corral into two.  I plan on rebuilding this fence.  Hmmm... I need it done now.

Fortunately I have four corral panels I bought an an auction a couple years ago.   I used the panels to fill in the two sections of the fence I had taken down.

The cattle hung around the panels as I worked.  20 seconds long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Jt-azeycQc


Then I had to fix the gate.   As you can see, when open, the gate is longer than the side of the barn.  Over the years the cattle and horses rubbed against the end of the gate and broke it - which was no big deal as I very rarely closed the gate.


Instead of fixing the metal gate now I decided to replace the gate with a sturdy metal gate.  I also added a small metal wire grid to one section of the wooden fence left of the gate.  That will prevent Baby from sticking her head through the fence to reach Momma's bag.  Now to watch to see if Baby sticks her head through the remaining barb wire fence to reach Momma.



I decided to let chance determine how Momma and Baby got separated.  Tuesday morning I found Momma and one 'mean girl' south of the barn, and north of the barn: Baby, one 'mean girl', and the two steers.  Perfect.  I am more concerned about how Baby will handle the loss of milk.  I prefer her to remain with the majority of the cattle and in the north part of the corral with the loafing shed for shelter.

To hold the hay I set out an old bathtub.  That didn't stop this heifer from stepping into the bathtub to eat the hay.




Baby in the north pasture looking as Momma moos.


Here are the cattle and the patched sections of the fence.


Here is a video of Momma and Baby mooing to one another.  2:12 long.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZAXqegWlV0

By evening Momma's milk bag was very full and big and bothering her. She was mooing more for Baby than Baby mooing for Momma.  After dark whenever I called for Daisy to come inside the house Momma mooed back to me.

No comments: