Sunday, October 09, 2011

Splitting logs

Lately, in between when it is rains, I have been splitting firewood.  Here are a few of the logs I have split.

This log is from a Western Larch (Tamarack) tree.  Even though I have aged the wood for a year or more before splitting it, the wood is still 'fresh'.  Don't be fooled by the insect/rot at the bottom - this log is solid and heavy.

The log was so solid the wood absorbed the splitting maul's blows. I had to use a sledgehammer to pound the splitting maul through the log.  Over and over for each time I split the log, not just the first time the log was split.  I couldn't split the log in two.  I had to split pieces off the sides and whittle the log down in size. I split over a third of the log when I took the photo.

Even though the log is old the wood had a sweet fresh smell after I split it.  Nice.



Some of the logs I split are larger than my splitting stump.

No comments: