Monday, January 11, 2010

Trivia night

Since I am in Minot for a little longer I decided to attend trivia night tonight.  Also helping was the warm weather as the temperature was around 20 above and not 20 below.

I walked to the bar.  With all the snow Minot has right now most sidewalks are buried under snow.  I had to walk on the street.  This was not a problem as there were hardly any cars out and about.

I thought I was late to the 7 pm start but when I went inside I didn't see any of the regulars at trivia night.  No one.

I hung around outside for a little bit weighing whether to leave.  I asked a guy coming inside whether the bar still had trivia nights and he said yes.

A short time later a few of the regulars arrived and then Ed (the host) and Al came.

Darrel and Mona didn't come so it was just Al, Marvin and I for a team. We called our team the "3 Blind Mice". We did better than expected.  For the first contest we came in second with 14 correct answers out of 20 questions.  In the second contest we tied with several other teams for second place with 12 correct.  Both times the winning team had 15 answers correct.

To be fair, a few of our correct answers were guesses.

Marvin won one of the "quarter in the bucket" trivia questions.  He chose a long ice scraper with brush for his prize.  Pretty handy right now.

His trivia question:  What state has the nickname of 'The Inland Empire'?
Answer: Illinois

The bar clientele were average to ugly looking. Partway through the contests two 20-something women came in and sat at a table next to us.  They were sitting mostly at my back on one side so I couldn't see them.  Marvin could and commented how attractive they looked.  They did look out of place.

Minnesota and Montana have banned smoking in all indoor places including bars.  North Dakota still allows smoking in bars and my clothes now stink of cigarette smoke.  Yuck.

After the trivia contests were over just before 9 pm many of the trivia regulars left and did not stay for karaoke later that evening.  I left also.

A few questions:
  1. What color are papaya seeds?
  2. In what city was the first All-star baseball game played?
  3. Battery Park is located on the south end of which island?
  4. What kind of hat did Bat Masterson wear?
  5. What island was invaded under the codename 'Operation Urgent Fury'?
  6. What is the plural of: basis?
  7. What 1984 movie about underdogs starred Robert Carradine and had the tag line "Their time has come!"?

The answers:
  1. Black
  2. Chicago
  3. Manhattan
  4. Derby
  5. Grenada
  6. bases
  7. Revenge of the Nerds

No comments: