Friday, January 22, 2010

First impressions back

My first impression immediately when I got off the train at Whitefish last week was the smokey smell.  The smell was from all the wood stoves in the Valley.  When one is here all the time you don't notice it.  After a few days I can no longer smell it.  The first day back the smokey smell did seem a little strong.

Even with the above freezing weather the Valley had here recently, there was still snow on the ground when I arrived.  My first day back I shoveled snow from the driveway and the yard.  On the sidewalk to the house door the snow had turned to ice and between an ice chipper and the warm temperatures I was able to clear it.

I am not sure my house's furnace was working correctly.  The house was a little colder (mid to upper 40s) than the thermostat's setting in the lows 50s.  I had to take the thermostat cover off before it would trigger the furnace to start.  I cleaned the thermostat's contacts the next morning and that seemed to have fixed the problem.  Ever since then I have used my wood stove for heating the house.

No broken water pipes - which is always good.
No mice moved into the house when I was gone.  That was good.

My first night home I went to bed early and slept 11 hours.

I had to get a new battery for my car as my car wouldn't start without being jumped by another vehicle.  The old Everstart battery from Walmart was purchased back in April of 2002 and the warranty was for 6 years.

I am in a winter holding pattern.  The snow and frozen ground prevents me from doing stuff on my to-do list.  The snow, due to the recent warm temperatures, is crunchy crusty and not good for cross country skiing.  The temperature is not so cold where one is happy to just be inside.  But it is warm enough to make a person to start thinking about Spring without being able to do anything about it.

I am just trying to get my equilibrium/routine back after being away.

No comments: