Sunday, April 23, 2006

Cattle, rain, pine cones

The "girls" seem to be adjusting to their new home. No jailbreaks overnights. The cattle are a little more relaxed when I am around. They were in the south corral this morning when I brought hay to their feeder in the north corral. They all came over to the fence between the two corrals to watch me as I shook a hay bale loose into the feeder.

This evening, after an early evening rain shower had passed, I brought them more hay. Most were around the feeder and only stepped back from the feeder a little bit when I came with the bale. Still a number of them would jump if I made any quick movements in their direction, such as when I turned to go get another hay bale. Otherwise they spent the day sitting and relaxing in the SW part of the south corral along my new fence.

It rained over night and early morning. Good! I didn't feel guilty at not doing work today. I made a batch of carrot bread and muffins.

By afternoon the rain left and the sun came out. After checking my pocket gopher traps I decided to pick up the freshly fallen pine cones in the NE corner. Earlier I had cleaned this area of the large pine cones after I burnt parts of the area some weeks ago. Today I filled two wheelbarrows full with pine cones. I remember growing up in North Dakota and thinking large pine cones were so neat and kept the few I found. That is because they were uncommon. Here they are so common they are a nuisance.

I need to start digging the soil for my garden. After no more than 20 minutes of digging the wind came up and it began to rain. The rain chased me inside for the night. I guess I should have stuck to my plan of having a relaxing do-nothing day.

No comments: