Sunday, January 22, 2006

2nd cataract operation

Well... I made it. My second cataract operation is over. I can see!!!

Now, after having a successful, and pain-free, cataract operation on my left eye one wouldn't think I'd be nervous going into the operation on my right eye. But I was. My main concern was being awake to "see" the operation as sharp objects would be poked into my eye, cutting it. What I call the 'cowboy on the ant hill ' syndrome. Everyone has told me they were conscious and aware during their cataract operations, so I wondered if my first operation where I didn't remember a thing was a fluke.

On the other hand I really wanted to get the second operation over with so I could see clearly and not have good and bad (unequal) vision.

The operation was over a week ago Thursday at 8:15 am; a hour and a half later in the day than my first operation. That meant an hour and a half of extra sleep. Try as I may, it was impossible for me to go to bed before 11 pm for either operation (or on any other day). No food or drink after midnight... *augh!* I was thirsty the next morning.

An hour and a half later in the morning than the first operation... and it was still dark outside when my brother drove me to the clinic. Winter darkness... *sigh* Only a half dozen cars were in the clinic's parking lot; more than last time, but not as many as I expected. I was told this is the "off" season for cataract surgery up here as many candidates are now wintering in Arizona.

I was early - 8:06 am - and a nurse took me back to get ready right after I walked through the door. This time I had a room of my own to change, wash my face with their special soap, and sit in a recliner for the initial preparation.

Different people this time, and no one who had names similar to friend's names. Then one nurse from last time popped her head in the door as she passed by and said with a smile, "Weren't you just here?"

"Yup, a week ago today."

The anesthetist was a guy this time - Jeff. (Okay, one exception on names of friends.) I asked for the same anesthesia as last time as that was "perfect". He said he would try. I told him I preferred not to be aware or awake but he said they don't put people completely under as that would mean they would stop breathing and extra oxygen support would be needed. My real friend Jeff had asked me if I was under "twilight anesthesia" the first time. Jeff the anesthetist said that is the layman's term. They call it "conscious sedation" or "IV sedation". If you google on "twilight anesthesia", you'll see a lot of breast implants web pages with this term. Okay... I think I'll use "conscious sedation" to describe what I had; and no I don't think Jeff has had, or is considering, breast implants.

The nurse came in and took my medical history - which went quicker this time as it had only been 1 week since my first operation. She also put the numbing and dilation drops in my eyes and inserted the IV. No problems inserting the IV this time. We had a pleasant time chatting about school, train travel and Montana, her daughter, and getting married after 40. (It takes a while to get prepared, and as I was a little nervous I was a little chatty.)

Her daughter wanted to be a flight attendant; and after she graduated from high school this past year, this woman drove her daughter to Vancouver, Washington to attend a 'flight attendant' school. After 3 weeks the daughter wanted to quit as she realized being an attendant wasn't the glamorous (or high paying) job she imagined; but she waited 3 more weeks until she could convince her best friend to also quit and return to N. Dakota. Why do women choose, or not choose, school based on whether their friends also go? Guys don't do this nearly as much. At least I didn't.

As for post-40 marriage, this woman has 2 brother-in-laws - one who got married recently for the first time after 40, and the other is engaged for the first time with a wedding planned in Cancun. "Didn't the hurricane wreck Cancun?" "They are rebuilding." So, there is hope for us old "Norwegian bachelors" after 40?

The wait this time was more relaxing as I didn't share an initial prep room with other patients (and their patient histories). Neither the IV needle nor my face itched this time. Things are looking good!

"Oooommmmmm" (Just trying to meditate to relax -- that's how it's done, isn't it? Chant something meaningless?) The little foot "booties" are made for people with small feet. I crossed my legs in the chair so my feet would be under my legs to keep them warm. Isn't this also the position one uses to meditate? "Oooommmmm..."

Dr. Williams interrupted my 'meditation' as he popped in briefly to say "Hi" and we exchanged pleasantries. "How are you?"

"Fine, and how are you?" (I think it is more important for the doc to be fine than me!)

I asked if he planned to video my operation (he had done so for my mother's operation), and he said yes, he usually videos one of the two operations. I asked for a copy of the video. Not for me... for mom.

I was expecting again to do a "drunken walk" to the pre-op room, but that didn't happen. I was steady on my feet. My eye was very dilated so it was a bright walk - or was I in some futuristic science-fiction movie where all the walls, ceilings and floors were white; the lights super bright so not a speck of shadow could be seen anywhere? "Hal? Can you hear me Hal? Open the airlock Hal. Hal?!"

In the room were only 3 or 4 beds, and the closest bed had a patient laying on it under the covers. I couldn't tell if it was a he or she - what is it about wearing a shower cap in bed? So sexy!

I got on the bed in the back corner and laid down. When we walked to the room the nurse had commented on how warm it was. "Huh? I think it is a little on the cool side, but then I was just sitting around." The nurse asked if I wanted heated blankets. Heck, ya!!!

Ah.. that feels better. Another nurse checked my eye to see how dilated it was. It was very dilated and she was happy. "My, what a big eye you have!" "The better to see you with my dear!"

She had a lovely light southern accent so I asked where she was from. Born in Florida, moved at 14 to Tennessee to live among the hillbillies (her words). "Why'd you come to North Dakota?" Her husband is in the air force and stationed at the Base. A good reason. I told her I really liked her accent; it was.. purdy. I told her Dakotans don't have accents. I couldn't open my eyes to see if she was buying it.

She hooked me up with the heart monitor, blood pressure cuff, and an IV with anti-nausea and muscle relaxant meds. And I said "Heck, ya!!!" when they asked if I wanted more warm blankets. Since they were so nice with the warm blankets I couldn't refuse when they put a shower cap on my head. *groan*

My blood pressure was higher than normal, but not as high as last time. That light southern accent must be why! So soothing and musical.

Before long they wheeled me into the operating room. I was aware of being moved this time, unlike last time. I was also conscious during the operation and would move my head when he asked me to lower my chin, or to look up or down with my eye. Otherwise I didn't (couldn't?) move. Augh!!!

Actually, the operation was like a dream: I was aware and would react when asked, but otherwise not concerned at all. Whatever... la-de-da!

In what seemed like a matter of a few minutes, the operation was over. From the videotape time the operation lasted 10-12 minutes. Oh really?! I didn't watch the tape as the idea of seeing my eye cut open and my lens sucked out... just doesn't have an appeal. Yuck! But my mom is fascinated by this kind of stuff (former nurse) and she was the one who wanted the copy of the tape. As she watched my operation on tape I shut my eyes, then sang "la-la-la!" when she started providing commentary to me. Then sang louder when she tried to talk over my voice. What's with moms anyway?!

Back to the operation... as I didn't seem to be as far under with anesthesia this time I had more of a memory afterwards. I ate my blueberry breakfast muffin as I recovered. In fact I got two muffins after I asked for a second one. The guy across from me was in a hurry to leave and didn't want anything at all to eat. Fool. What's your hurry? You can't see anything anyway!

At home I was more alert, and that was good and bad. Good in that being alert is generally a good thing; bad in that I wanted to read, watch TV, do something other than lay around with my eyes closed. While I had a patch over my eye, I figured it would be good to keep the eye closed. Easier said than done with one's non-winking eye.

I probably shouldn't have done that as the next morning my eye and surrounding muscles were sore; and that hadn't really occurred after the first operation. I think the strain of closing that eye while keeping my winking eye open may have contributed to the muscles' soreness. My eye felt fine until I opened it in the morning. Between the light and eye movement: ouch. The eye was still pretty sore several mornings after the operation. Now, over a week later, it is much better.

The morning after the operation I was at the doctor's office to have my eye checked and the eye patch removed. The vision test showed my vision to be 20/25. Pretty good only one day after the operation! My vision will vary for a few weeks while the eye heals. I had noticed that my other eye's vision got blurrier for a few days then better again.

20/25 and 20/60. Not bad. I don't need glasses to see. Actually that is kind of odd. For the first few days I thought, "I am wearing glasses"; but when I feel for them, I am not. Contact lens then. No... I am seeing this way with just my eyes. Amazing! My routine had been: first thing in the morning - put glasses on; last thing at night - take them off. I still catch myself attempting to do these things. I have worn glasses since 3rd grade. 40 years of needing glasses to see. 40 years and now I can see without glasses. In fact I can see better than I have seen recently with glasses, due to my cataracts and scratched up glasses lens. Amazing! I hope my eyes hold this way.

The difference in my two eyes' vision is on purpose. My left (20/60) is handier to see items closer, and with my right for intermediate and long distance. Focusing uses the eye's lens and muscle. A plastic lens doesn't expand or contract for focusing. That part of my focusing ability is gone. That is why the doc made each eye have a different vision.

Close one or the other eye for a slight difference in vision as needed. Still, as my vision settles I find that wearing reading glasses to read smaller print helps sharpen the words and make it easier to read.

My checkup a few days ago showed some signs of swelling, but that is normal. No infection. Well, so far so good. Here's to seeing the world without glasses. Hurray!

No comments: