Monday, February 13, 2023

Flat bicycle tire and coyotes?

Saturday and Sunday I rode the same 26 mile bicycle route.  Sunday, three-fourths of a mile from home, I noticed my front bicycle tire looked like it was getting low.  I stopped and checked the tire.  I found a little bit of wire sticking out of the tire.  The wire was hair thin.  How such a small and thin wire was able to get into and then through the tire is a mystery.   It reminds me of the small wires that caused my bicycle tires to go flat back in December.  I never had this small wire problem before.

Bicycle tires have wire imbedded in them where the tire is against the wheel's rim to help hold the tire on the wheel when the tire is inflated.  The wire I found was not at this location.

I 'googled' and found other people have had this problem.

"Probably a steel belted radial wire."  There are no "steel belted" or radial bicycle tires. The wire came from a worn automobile tire.  A car tire, not your tire. I started seeing these flats around 20 years ago. These flats didn't exist in the '70s and '80s. Steel belted auto tires were still new. No debris yet from old worn ones. 

Great.  Just great.  Another way to get a flat bicycle tire.


Also, this evening just before dark, I was in the north pasture when all of a sudden I heard lots of loud barking and 'calling'.  It sounded as if it was from across the river, maybe even up on the ridge with trees.  It sounded like a pack of animals.  It sounded more like coyotes and not dogs.  It went on for about 5 minutes and then died down.  My take is that a pack of coyotes went after a deer.  My cows are on this side of the river eating hay in the middle pasture.   It was getting dark so I'll have to count the cows tomorrow.  More likely coyotes and not wolves.  A few weeks ago Donna saw a large animal cross over her property and the property next to hers.  She said it didn't look like a dog or a coyote and wondered if it was a lone wolf.

No comments: