Saturday, November 19, 2022

Cattle feeder rolled

I have a cattle feeder in both the middle and north pastures.  I flip back and forth between the two pastures.  That is because when I drop a new large hay bale into the feeder the cattle can't wait.  They surround the feeder.  If some hay falls off the bale before it drops, the cattle will put their head into the feeder to eat the fallen hay.  Because I don't want the cattle to accidentally get injured when the hay bale drops I run around chasing the cattle away from the feeder.  Often they return to the feeder before I get the bale dropped.  So now I switch pastures.  That way I can drop a bale into the feeder where the cattle are not located.

Initially I had the north pasture feeder on its side until I was able to use it.  We had some strong winds and it rolled the feeder into the middle/north pasture fence.  Who would have thought this would happen.  When I try to roll the feeder I have to put a lot of effort into doing so.



With our cold - mid-Winter - temperatures, ice is forming on the river.  Yesterday when I let the cattle back into the north pasture I had to break the ice and cause it to float away from where the cattle drink from the river.  Uncommon I have to do this.

I also saw the beaver was back at it again. I'll call it "she" as this beaver is smart and determined.  I have protected and re-protected and re-protected the willow trees growing on the river bank.  I recently put a small square of fence around a tree I had earlier wrapped and the beaver had climbed above to eat.   The beaver figured out to unhook one side of the square and pushed that side open so she could reach the tree.  And ate it.  On another tree the beaver climbed above both tree wire wrappings to eat the tree.  She is getting up there to reach the tree.    That beaver is determined even if it takes her a few months to figure out to get around things to get what she wants.   I'm going to have to spend some time next year to better protect those trees.   Unless my neighbor finally remembers to tell their beaver trapping friend about my beaver problem.

No comments: