Wednesday, January 02, 2019

2018 bicycle mileage total

2018 was for the record book for me with bicycle miles.  I rode 8,500 miles.   This is well above the previous record of 7,100 miles set way back in 1996. And much above my average annual mileage of  3,379 miles.

I could have ridden more miles as my total at the six month mark was 4,700 miles.  I usually ride more miles in the second half of the year but this year with my hay and cattle problems in July, and my push to get stuff done before Winter started, my mileage in the second half of the year fell off.

Numbers:
  • 8,500 annual miles,
  • 708.3 miles each month,
  • 163.5 miles each week,
  • 23.3 miles each day.

I set record miles in three months:
  • January - 550 miles,
  • March - 1025 miles, and
  • December - 620 miles.
I was surprised to set a record in December.  My previous average in December was 146.6 miles.  I only exceeded 300 miles in a December four times over the many years of riding.  The previous record mileage of 582 miles (well above the next highest of 440 miles) was set back in 1988 when I was riding on a bicycle tour in Australia and Hawaii that December.  I figured I would never exceed this 582 total unless I spent a December in a warm area again.  But our past December was warmer than average and I made the most of it.  If this is because of global warming... then bring it on.  I can get used to this!

No comments: