Friday, December 06, 2013

Cold day cattle activities

Still cold.  Now the wind picked up making it feel even colder.   Brrrr!!!

This morning I got Jan from the train station.  She was returning from a visit to her daughter.  The Amtrak train was scheduled to arrive 36 minutes late at 8:02 am.  The Amtrak train sat outside of Whitefish waiting for a BNSF fright train to pass through and never arrived until 9 am.  It was a long cold wait for the train.  At least I no longer have to go over to her house several times a day to let her dogs outside to go to the bathroom.


Remember me writing about some calves having thick belly fur?   "Gramps" certainly has thick belly fur.



I responded to a Craigslist ad for hay. 
Have about 12 small square bales of 2nd cutting grass/alfalfa. These are bottom bales of stack with a little musty on underside,but otherwise nice, not clean enough to feed out of stall feeders. Fed outside on ground would be excellent for cows. $2.50 bale - $25 take all.

The ad was up for a four days.  I need more hay but waffled on whether I wanted to go out in the cold and get these few bales. Tammy reminded me this morning to act or lose out like what has happened a few times before.  So I called. They were relatively close and I went and got the hay.  There were 10 bales and one broken bale.

The mold doesn't seem too bad.  I've had cattle eat moldier hay.

When I got the hay the owner told me she got four calls after I called.  So thanks to Tammy reminding me I got the hay.



Since I don't have a working livestock well I have to refill the cattle's water trough every day using the faucet from the house.  With this cold weather it takes me a number of minutes to thaw the pipe using a propane torch.  I need to find out if I have a short heating tape.

The pipe sticks out like this because I redid the pipe years ago a few months before I added insulation to the house walls.  Because I didn't know how thick the new walls were going to be Kelly and I made the pipe stick out this far.  After finishing the wall insulation job I never got around to cutting the pipe shorter and re-brazing an end to the pipe.  Now I wish I had done so.


No comments: