Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Wash out

For the year we were behind normal for moisture: 3.5 inches instead of 5.5 inches. I was getting concerned when digging fence posts as how dry it was.  So we needed rain.  We had some rain before Tammy and I left for Las Vegas and I hoped the weather forecast was correct and it would rain while we were gone.

Boy, did it ever!

We had several inches of rain and are caught up to normal.  The neighbors said it rained real hard several times when I was gone.

It rained so much that the water ran and eroded where I had dug around the corral well.  When I got back I didn't notice the erosion as Daisy and I first saw a pail of rocks in my water trough.


Then I noticed the erosion under the water trough.  The pail of rocks in the water trough were ballast.  The pail was wired to the water trough and the trough wired to a metal pole driven in the ground.  My neighbors who I had asked to keep an eye on the water trough's water level kept the water trough from sliding into the well.  They are 72 and 76 years old and the water trough is cast iron and heavy.  I am amazed they were able to right the trough and save it.


Then I noticed the remaining concrete well casing had fallen down as the dirt had eroded away from around it.



I guess I will be replacing this casing for sure after all.

Once the cattle drank the water level down I moved the water trough away from the well's hole.  Then I pounded a few steel posts and wired up a gate as a temporary measure to block the cattle from the hole.

No comments: