Tuesday, August 11, 2015

Pump finally

Six weeks after I ordered it, my pump finally arrived this morning at 11 am.  While I was told it weighed close to 200 pounds the shipping list had the pump at 150 pounds.  I was ready for a heavier pump.

"Cushions" in case I had to push the pump out of the semi's trailer into the pickup

But at 150 pounds the driver and I were able to easily lift the pump from the semi-trailer floor to my pickup's tailgate.

How the pump was shipped to me - and apparently from the factory to the dealer.

At 150 pounds I was able to lift the pump to the ground.

I unbolted the pump as little so I could lift it up off the pallet to retrieve the instructions underneath the pump.  I then decided to keep the pump bolted to the pallets to provide a platform for the pump and to hold it upright.

Now that I had the pump I was able to determine the intake and outlet hole sizes.  The intake size is one size larger than my other pumps.  I called Kyle to get some plastic pipe but he didn't have this size.  I went to Northwest Piping and they helped me.

I learned the clear-coat pipe I had used for my well pump did not come in this size and I had to get PVC pipe.  I got 20 ft of which I would cut into two pieces to attach to a 90 degree elbow.



Once home I wondered if I had some plastic pipe similar to this in the hayshed.  Under a stack of boards I found more pipe than I remembered having.  I found an 18 ft piece for the well and two other short pieces that would be perfect for the area between the well casing and where I wanted to place the pump.  For the two pieces all I had to do was trim the ends to be straight.  One piece even had a threaded end piece attached.

To attach the adapters and fittings to the pipe I used the PVC cement I bought back when I remodeled the bathroom.  The fittings are all attached now and will be dry and ready in the morning.

I initially thought the larger pipe meant I could not share the well casing with my other pump, especially with a foot valve at the bottom of the pipe.  The pitless adapter for the other pipe took up half the well casing.  But I found my foot valve just barely squeezed past the pitless adapter.  The new pipe's foot valve does not fit past the other pipe's foot valve but that was ok as both pipes are well below the water level.  I then did have to cut the new pipe a foot shorter than planned.  It was fortunate I had an extra threaded adapter as I had already glued one on the pipe to attach the foot valve.  I had to cut that adapter off with the foot of pipe as I had already cemented it on the pipe.  No way was I going to lower a $90 foot valve down the well casing if the adapter wasn't cemented on.

I called the electrician to come complete the wiring now that I have the pump.  I hope he will be able to do it sooner than later.


No comments: