Saturday, November 15, 2014

Earthquake

Well... scratch that off my bucket list.   Friday night, just before midnight, we had a 3.9-magnitude earthquake (originally measured at 4.5).   This is the first time I have been through an earthquake and knew it.

I was on the computer when I heard and then felt a vibration.  It got louder and seemed to move throughout the house.  Initially I thought the vibration was from the cattle running by the house.  But it didn't quite feel like that.  It was... strange.  15 to 20 seconds later the vibration and noise quit.  I turned on the outside house lights and saw nothing.  The cattle were in the corral. 

Then I thought... earthquake?

Yup.  I learned the earthquake's was centered 3 miles northwest of Columbia Falls, not all that far from the ranch.

http://www.dailyinterlake.com/news/local_montana/midnight-quake-shakes-people-across-flathead/article_0b6c291a-6d3d-11e4-892d-6bc440cca2a7.html

No comments: