Tuesday, May 28, 2013

Spraying cattle for the year

Sunday Tammy and I sprayed Ivermectin on the cattle for this year to prevent them from getting worms or other parasites.  (Here is info on me doing this last year: http://tallpinesranch.blogspot.com/2012/06/getting-ready-for-pasture.html)

We sprayed the cattle on Sunday as it was a sunny and dry day.  Spraying the cattle on a rainy day does no good and I need to spray them before releasing them into the pasture on Thursday or Friday as they won't stand still to be sprayed.  The forecast is for rain most of the week and the Ivermectin needs dry cattle and six hours rain-free to take effect.

I used my newly rebuilt loading corral to hold the cattle in a confined space so I could spray them.



The rebuilt corral worked great.  All eleven cattle fit into the smallest gated area and were packed in tight so they couldn't move much and I was able to spray their backs.

One of the cattle began to completely climb up on the other cattle's backs so we had to encourage it to get back down on the ground.  The corral fences held a 600+ lb animal stacked two high pretty good.

We opened the head gate to release the cattle before I realized it was a good idea at this time to also tag the ears of the five cattle without tags. The cattle quickly got out of the loading corral before I could get the ear tags.  Oh well... I'll tag them another day before releasing them into the pasture.


A side note... Notice in the one photo that two of the railroad tie "connector" boards came apart due to the cattle's pressure on the walls of the fences.  I pushed the ties closer together and re-nailed the "connector" boards with more and longer nails.  My work will get another test when I get the cattle back into this area for their ear tagging.

No comments: