Thursday, May 13, 2010

Census district

For the census, in case you are wondering what is my area of responsibility.


The area inside the red Xs is my area.  As you can see I am responsible for over half of Flathead County - at least in area (but not in population).  I also have part of Lake County (shown in blue).

So I have two counties, and my area borders seven other counties. The Continental Divide is my eastern boundary.   I also have much of Glacier Park and most - if not all - of the Bob Marshall Wilderness.  While the wilderness has no housing units (as far as I know as my team hasn't covered those maps yet), the Park has more private homes scattered about it than you would think as many houses were grandfathered in as private property inside the Park when it was created in 1910.

I imagine there aren't too many areas in the lower 48 states that are as large and complex as my area.  Several mountain ranges, wilderness, a number of very large lakes, the three forks of the Flathead River, national forests, a national park, a number of small towns, and people tucked up in the mountains to get away from civilization.

In my district, even though I don't have the major towns in my county, I have over three thousand households to visit. In western Montana my district is the largest by far in both size and households over all the other districts.  Many other districts appear to be a half to a third of my size.   Lucky me.

So, if you haven't sent in your census questionnaire yet, and a census worker comes to your door to get your household information from you, please be kind to my people.  They have a hard enough time without you making their day bad.  Some of my workers need this census job as they are barely living paycheck to paycheck.  A few of my workers have limits on how far they can travel as they are waiting for their first census paycheck so they can fill up their vehicle with gas.

No comments: